Monday, August 22, 2005

It's Been A While

Haven't posted in a while, mainly because there hasn't been much to post - been working lots this week, had lots of interesting cases, some of which are very frustrating, some extremely fulfilling and satisfying, some sadly not making it through the weekend. In fact, we discovered my mom and Marty's cat Pebbles has hyperthyroidism - not a major big deal, I was just happy to see her kidney function was well within normal limits. The good thing about treating your own animals is that you can use them as guinea pigs for new therapies or things you hadn't tried before. Because Pebbles is mildly hyperthyroid (if there is such a thing), I am going to try some gel inside of her ear rather than the usual orally administered tablets. We were always taught in vet school that the transdermal gel is a waste of time, but my buddy Nate says he has had luck with it, and seeing as Pebbles' thyroid hormone is only mildly elevated, I figured we'd give it a go. I'll let you know (as if anyone is really that interested!).

Not much else going on - went to a beach BBQ this weekend with a bunch of co-workers, played some basketball and had a nice time. Couldn't sleep much last night because my stomach was KILLING me. I mean seriously bad stabbing pains in my left side, right up under my ribs. I was getting scared enough that I was considering going to the ER. Pepto Bismol finally did the trick, but my stomach has still been very tender today. I was trying to figure out what could have effected my stomach in such a way...it wasn't the BBQ, because my stomach had been tender all day before the BBQ. Then I thought back a couple of days when I had some Egg Beaters as a snack. When I poured them into the bowl, I thought to myself "These eggs look dark..." but then just assumed it was that it was nighttime and the kitchen wasn't well lit, so I cooked them in the microwave, ate them, didn't think anything of it.

Until the next day.

I woke up a couple of hours after Angela, went into the kitchen to get some breakfast and was greeted by a horrible smell. "Sweetie, what the HELL is that smell!??!?"

"Oh, I was going to make cornbread, opened the Egg Beaters, and they are totally rotten!"

"Um...I just ate some of that last night..."

"Didn't you smell it?!?!?"

"Um..........nope."

"Well, I hope you don't end up getting sick from eating rotten eggs!!!"

"Nah, I'll be fine, I've got an Iron Stomach!!"

Yeah, whatever. I am just glad I wasn't puking all night. So, basically, I couldn't eat today. I forced down a Clif Bar this morning, every bite I swallowed, my stomach clenched and felt like someone was stabbing me in the ribs for a second or two. Delightful. Lunch consisted of a half a piece of bread and a banana. Dinner = a bowl of farina. Am currently feeling better, so fingers crossed I get some sleep tonight since I sure as shit didn't last night.

We bought a new bed at Ikea today for our spare room - we spent an hour putting the god damn thing together - the biggest pain in the ass was the metal supports going criss-crossed across the middle to support the wooden slats. The screws just wouldnt go in right, I was sweating like a pig. Ah well, its done now and Angela is happy. Ainsley initiated the bed by jumping on it as soon as it was made and puking all over the new blanket. Needless to say, the blanket has already been washed and Ainsley has been scolded severely by Angela. Does he care? Nope - he is sleeping on the newly washed blanket as we speak.

That's my life update for now...more as it comes.

No comments: