Sunday, April 30, 2006

I Was Runninnnnnnng!

The title of this post is supposed to be Forrest Gump speaking. You know, that bit in the movie where...ah forget it.

So, anyway, today was the day of my first 5k run, the "Testaverde Race for Spinal Victory" - not actually associated with former NY Jet Vinnie Testaverde, but cool nonetheless. It was a balmy 46 degrees F at race time, and it was pretty damn windy - especially seeing as we were running along the ocean. Mike and his wife Susan met me, Angela and dad at Jones Beach, and we stood outside freezing until race time.

Basically, to make a long story short...I finished in 28:52 (average of 9:18 mile), better than I have ever run a 5k before - I think it had a lot to do with having Mike running with me, the motivation was there to keep his pace, and seeing as he has run a marathon before, I was quite pleased with that. He finished 7 seconds better than me. Not too shabby at all.

I shall now post some photos from the event.

Mike and I pre-race.

The race begins (I am outlined in red, Mike in yellow. Duh.)

Mike finishes. You can see me in the background...

Me finishing.

Me struggling to breathe/walk/live.

In pain...

...just kidding! FOOLED YOU!

Us and the wives post-race.

Me and my pops post-race.

All in all, even though it was difficult, it was an extremely gratifying experience, and I shall definitely be doing it more as the summer progresses. But for now...I am taking a nap.

**Extra added bonus** - 28 week belly shot:

Look at that sucker grow!!! I can hear the little heartbeat now just by putting my ear to Angela's belly - how cool!! Not long now before this balloon gets set to burst...:)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good on you for the 5K. You are so thin and your wife is so phat! The times they are a changin'.