Thursday, February 28, 2008

Rest In Peace, Old Friend


Why these things happen, I don't begin to try and comprehend, but tonight one of my old friends passed away. She was in a car accident very early this morning, and according to witnesses, only a miracle could have saved her - which, unfortunately, did not happen.

I hadn't seen Tara in years, at least 10. Doesn't make it any easier though. You know how you fall out of touch with people? And sometimes you happen to have flashbacks of the good times you had when you were younger, and you tell yourself "I should really stop by and say hi when I am on the block," but you never do, thinking that there's always tomorrow.

There isn't always tomorrow. Not for Tara, anyway.

We weren't the BEST of friends - I was probably closer to her older brother Rob than I was with her. But we were in the same grade throughout elementary, middle and high school. We had the same friends during our school days, and used to play Ringolevio and Ring n' Run at night in the summer time. We grew up together, then, as always happens, grew apart. No helping that.

But Tara never met my daughter, and now she never will. She hadn't seen me since I lost all my weight, and now she never will. She never met my wife, and now she never will. Because there is no tomorrow for her.

So, I guess the lesson here is the old cliche, "Life is too short." Kiss your wife/husband/significant other/daughter/son/cat/dog. Often. You can never tell someone "I Love You" enough. Who gets tired of hearing "I Love You?" Share and spread your love wide and far, and embrace all the love that is given to you. Cuz you never know when your next tomorrow may be your last.

Rest In Peace, Old Friend.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Brian I was so taken by what you wrote I have tears in my eyes. . I remember"the good old days"I am feeling so bad for all the McConnach's. It is such a horrible tragedy. We have to appreciate what we have now because as you said you never know what tomorrow brings.