Monday, March 07, 2005

Oy vey!

I heard an advertisement the other day on the radio, that there was going to be a charity walk in support of Breast Cancer research in NYC this summer. Now, I figured since I was in probably the best shape I have been in since high school, that this would be a nice thing to do - I have several family friends + other close friends that have had breast cancer affect their lives, so I thought taking part in this event would show my support. It is actually a marathon-length walk, so it is no small task.

I went online, wanting to look into it a bit, see how to register, etc etc. Now as far as I can tell (and anyone please correct me if I am wrong),in order to take part in this event, you not only have to pay a registration fee (which I wasn't bothered about at all), but you also have to raise a MINIMUM of $1800......!! I mean, I am all for charity and all that, but where the hell am I gonna be able to raise that kind of money!??! It's not like I work in a big office with a hundred employees. There are about 10-15 employees at my pleace of business. And I doubt any of them are going to give up $100-150 to support me....what the hell am I expected to do, go around door-to-door for donations??? It's one thing to do that when you are in a high school band, selling oranges to fund your annual trip to Florida. But an adult banging on people's doors?? Would YOU open the door if you saw me standing there? Or would you think I was a Jehova's Witness???

Basically, I guess I won't be able to do the walk, and thus another attempt at kindness thwarted by red-tape.

Typical!

Peace,

-B

No comments: