Wednesday, February 09, 2005

Sick!???!?!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Alas, it is true, the ultimate joke is being played on me. Last night, I had to wake up frequently to drink water because of my throat being particularly dry. Upon arising in the morning, my throat remained sore, and I KNEW that I was getting ill. I guess it was inevitable, considering how many people I have hung out with in the last few days who have travelled over here by plane (i.e. massive recirculating hotbed of illness). Anyway, I was playing it safe, pounding Vitamin C, Ibuprophen and Zicam, and a Ricola was constantly present in my mouth to soothe my throat.

Everything was going great, I was starting to feel better, when the boss took the whole office out for lunch. He went ALL OUT, buying basically 2 of each appetizer on the menu, drinks, etc. I decided it would be rude of me not to sample some of these delights, so I had a bit of each one as well as 3 or 4 Diet Coke's. By the time my meal arrived, I could barely touch it....and then the intense stomach pains began. I knew it was gas (from the swirling mixture of diet coke and rich food that my stomach is no longer used to), so I started pounding Gas-ex as well just for the hell of it. It worked - I was releasing enough gaseous expulsions to fuel a hot air balloon journey around the world. Of course, I was still at work, so I don't think the clients appreciated it much.

The stomach pains continued even as I got home from work, however they were much less severe. Yet....the throat issue did not go away. More Vit C, Ibuprophen, added in some Cepacol drops for good measure. Felt fine as I drifted off to sleep....and now here it is, 4am, and I have been awake for an hour with what feels like a little gnome scratching his family history into the membranes at the back of my throat. I also happen to ache all over. I KNEW it would happen, but hey, a guy can hope right?

Could there be worse timing?!?? It is 4 days til my wedding for fuck's sake!!! I guess it could be worse...I could have fallen ill the night before the wedding. In which case I would have denounced Judaism and become a friggin Scientologist (Leah Remini and Kelly Preston...call me!).

Anyway, the new plan - more Vit C, Ibuprophen....and I added some antibiotic to try and kill the inevitable Strep Throat that is brewing back there. I have also popped a Ricola to try to soothe the pain so I can get back to sleep. I was meant to do a lot of running around today, but I guess it will have to wait til later.

I shall update you on my "progress" later, but for now, I am going to try to hit the sack in a futile attempt to lose consciousness.

Cross your fingers,

-B

No comments: